This recipe is perfect for an easy going dinner on a weeknight or for a large dinner party when you need to serve many people at once. Who doesn’t enjoy the ease of a one-dish meal? The potatoes I used here were red potatoes that were bright pink-red flesh on the inside which I’d never seen before! The sure made the final product beautiful to eat. I love this recipe also because no extra spices or herbs or butter or anything is needed for it to be good. You get a whole variety of flavors and in a healthy form.
I found that by cooking the asparagus and sausage for a slightly shorter time than the potatoes and fennel, nothing gets overcooked or burnt up. Especially with some of the summertime fresh asparagus being pretty skinny sometimes, you don’t want to end up with burnt little sticks instead of a delicious vegetable. This is a great dinner recipe that I hope you will enjoy on a busy evening or with a whole group of friends and family. Here’s my sausage and vegetable bake:
Sausage and Vegetable Bake
Recipe by: Everyday Cooking Adventures, 2014
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 3-4 baby red potatoes, quartered (or 1 larger potato sliced into 1″ chunks)
- 6 asparagus spears
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced lengthwise into chunks
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 mild Italian sausages, sliced into 1/2″ coins
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF. On a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or non-stick foil, add the potatoes and fennel and drizzle with olive oil, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
2. Place on middle rack of oven and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, toss in the sausage slices and asparagus and place back in the oven to bake another 20 minutes. Add extra salt and fresh ground black pepper as desired.