I am always experimenting with my usual grocery ingredients, trying to find new ways to serve them up in a healthy but delicious way. That’s how I came out with this kale recipe, a not so thrilling ingredient turned into a really tasty side dish for dinnertime. I was super hungry tonight so I wanted dinner that was ready quickly but without heating up a frozen pizza or something unhealthy.
I made steamed basmati rice spiced up with a little lime zest, baked chicken with a sweet and sour glaze, and this kale recipe. You don’t want to overcook kale or else it will get soggy which isn’t that yummy. And you don’t want to just slather it in butter or cream sauce because it loses its healthy benefits. So, by doing a light sauté and adding some interesting spices I managed to make kale, delicious! I swear! I hope you’ll try it for yourself. Here’s my sweet and spicy kale:
Spicy and Sweet Sauteed Kale
Recipe by: Everyday Cooking Adventures, 2014
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 8-10 leaves of kale, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. butter or 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- Ground ginger
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Sliced kale cross-wise into thick strips. Warm butter or olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic to the melted butter and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the kale strips to the pan and stir to coat with the butter/olive oil. Add the mustard seeds, careful not to spill all over the counter, and a couple dashes of ground ginger. Continue to stir to combine and then season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Let cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve right away.